Swedes! Poles! Germans! Luxembourgers! The world is depending on you to save the internet from the EU! (PLEASE RT!)
I don't know who made this nice Mahjong game but it's a quite nice and fast PWA! 👾🎉😍
@kensanata I think this is currently the biggest shortcoming #Mastodon (#fediverse in general?) has. Mostly just the original poster sees the whole #thread. It creates a lot of duplicate comments etc. I'd prefer if the client would automatically fetch it for me when I expand the post.
It's why I open most posts via permalinks to see the whole threads from the source server. Being on a #single-user #instance, most posts I see have zero comments even after subscribing to all relays I've found.
Add list title editing
ThibG submitted code to Mastodon that will allow people to edit the titles of their lists! It hasn't been added to Mastodon yet, but if the reviews go well it will be.
If you're into this, please do head over and add your 👍s and ❤️s. :)
https://www.netflix.com/bandersnatch is a nice concept in but the inability to skip within a video (or at least current plot segment) quickly turned it into a rather frustrating experience for me.
If something distracts you and you want to go back a minute but another choice was already presented to you, you are out of luck and the only option is to restart the whole movie again. And even if there wasn't any choice, you have to go back by 10 second decrements.
I wrote a thing about Chromebooks. https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/12/26/opinion-android-apps-are-not-the-way-forward-for-chromebooks/
Enter the name of an Android app to see who else can see your data:
Outlook, for example, has Facebook trackers.
This actually sounds calm and logical...
Did Google cripple Edge’s youtube performance? – Jeremy Noring – Medium https://email@example.com/did-google-cripple-edges-youtube-performance-ce5169d3e5f4
@baldur It would be anti-competitive if it were true. Why does everyone seem to take the anonymous allegation in a HN comment as an undeniable fact? I'm sure #YouTube didn't care how proud the #Edge team was about video decoding optimization of their proprietary engine with minuscule market share.
Disclaimer: Yes, I do hate #Microsoft with a passion a will never forgive them for the decades of *demonstrably* intentional anti-competitive behavior this comment now ironically blames #Google of.
“Is there a cold war between Android and Chrome because of PWAs?”
I don’t know if the Cold War angle is true but it’s obvious from the post that Microsoft has the opportunity to become _better_ at PWAs than Google. Chromium-based PWAs, in the Windows Store, that can be progressively enhanced to use native APIs a la Electron but without Electron's downsides.
Still don't agree with MS's decision but it isn't hard to see the appeal. Not sure they can pull it off, tho
[We're shutting down consumer G+ even sooner because we've introduced another security bug couple days after the first announcement but rest assured that we're fully invested into enterprise G+.] ... Sure, sure.
@yogthos #Apple gets away with it mostly unnoticed so far, though. Even within tech community a surprising number of people don't even know about #iOS browsers being all #Safari. Even here on the fediverse I see a lot of privacy fundamentalists criticizing #Google while flocking into Apple's walled garden. That's ridiculous. You can disable Google surveillance, but you don't truly own Apple HW after you pay for it. Don't even try to repair it, run only whitelisted closed SW... That's much worse.
• Included charger is the same (white) as the Pixelbook one.
- Smaller bezels are great but it’s impossible to hold without occasional accidental touches.
- #ChromeOS on Slate is still quite unstable. Had several random session crashes already.
- My biggest issue is that it doesn’t work with external monitor even though Pixelbook, hp X2, Acer Tab 10, Pixel 2015 LS and several other Chrome devices work flawlessly with it: https://crbug.com/910740
Overall, I love it, especially as a naked #tablet.
• If you try to edit a photo from the Camera app it wants to install Android Photos app. This schizophrenia is only one of the reasons to disable Android on Chrome OS. Though #Assistant now works without Play Store enabled, so I hope non-Android Camera will get better.
• Slate’s keyboard is on par with Pixelbook, though using it on your lap quickly becomes a yoga exercise. (As expected: https://social.unextro.net/@ondra/100871810489434173.) Hinge on detachable hp #Chromebook X2 is better in that regard.
+ Speakers are the best part (even bit too bass heavy)
+ Great display
+ Even better battery life than #Pixelbook (~10 hours) and charges super fast
• Photos from the cameras are better but nowhere near Pixel 2 XL so I still tend to have the phone nearby just for taking pictures. :/
• #Android apps are still a joke and if you have them disabled, the Camera app is replaced with Chrome one which doesn’t have portrait mode for example.
Ondřej's personal fediverse server instance.